Dennis Hackethal’s Blog
My blog about philosophy, coding, and anything else that interests me.
What Christians Get Right
Christians get some things right that atheists usually get wrong, especially scientistic atheists. Christians understand that:
- Humans are better than animals
- It’s okay to eat and use animals
- It’s okay to view the environment as a resource
- Humans are more than just atoms and neuronal patterns
- It’s better to be right wing than left wing
- Related to that, it’s better to be culturally conservative than revolutionary
- Science can’t answer all questions
- America is exceptional
To be clear, Christians get these things right for all the wrong reasons, and they’re probably wrong about way more things than they’re right about. I’m an atheist (though not of the scientistic kind), and, following Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris, I think religion is mostly evil and irrational and the world would be better off without it. I would be a lot less hesitant to push the Rothbardian button to get rid of religion overnight than I would be when it comes to the state. But it’s notable that Christianity has some good conclusions baked in, even if for the wrong reasons.